08-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #141
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
What are you going to buy that will be any different? Audi, Mercedes? To buy in to those brands will have you moving much further away from what BMW is/was, and they are both doing exactley what BMW is anyway - filling niches to capture further demographics. And for what reason, to get a sportier drive?... generally speaking, in any category they offer a model for the BMW is the benchmark for the driving experience - maybe the gap is closer now than it was... but hey, this is the 6th generation of BMW 3 series we're talking about here - it's about time the competition caught up a bit!
I agree that F30 is on still on top, besides, who am I to doubt that, the entire world press is there to prove that point!

Than the hatchback thing... several manufacturers have confessed that hatchback in this segment is no longer profitable. When you go for sedan and touring, than you cover the market perfectly.

I see the hatchback and crossovers like Audi A5 and Passat CC, and to be frank, what kind of morphed wanabees are they? They pretend to be family, sporty and stylish in one, they are none of these. Then You see these 3GT spy pictures and the BMW version is even worse. I highly doubt anybody is making cash on these variants.

So my comment is maybe too harsh, I think F30 rules, and by a serious margin! But I don't think BMW has to try out all those hidious variants they plan to do. Just invest in becoming even "better", not "omnipresent".
Appreciate 0