View Single Post
      07-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #17
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by martianpc View Post
The Multi Touch isnt even going to be on the new car. My interest lies in not knowing what new app advancements will be available in the future now that the SDK is out. Look at what apps did for the iPhone.. Whos to say they will not do the same for iDrive. Also, I could care less about Twitter or Facebook, I like the better dictation of SMS and menu navigation with voice. Being able to press the button and say navigate to 100 main st anytown PA is a pretty sweet feature. Connecting two cell phones at the same time is great for when my wife and I are both in the car for a longer drive. the 200gb hard drive will hold a lot more music.

There are some nice improvements and I am buying the car for the way it drives, but when you spend a good amount of time on the highway, comfort and extra features almost become more important at certain times.
My wife and I are road warriors. We push the button, hit the gas, and press play. Simple. The GPS does what it is supposed to do. My eyes are on the road. Her eyes are on her iPAD reading some novel or surfing. Emails, texting, etc. are not important to me while driving. If I'm stopped, I pick up my phone for that. I recall when we were excited about the new nav we got in the 2009 with the weather, gas stations, stock market, google search. How often did we use them? Maybe 5 times? All for $200/year ~ 17$ month. But why when phones do pretty much the same thing and more for free?

To each his own I guess. And we still won't know if those new features will be active while driving. I can't imagine even voice texting while driving is safe because you'd have to check to see if the computer got your words right.
Appreciate 0