View Single Post
      01-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I don't know of any Canadian car company.

Top Tier is the same gas with supposedly more additive added to reduce gumming up engines. That's an industry pledge because the gov didn't want to increase the additive requirements in order to match European gas, with the ultimate aim of protecting the US car industry against European imports. Like any other petty steps the gov is taking against imports such as bogus light and bumper requirements. US cars are made to run on crappy gas so it doesn't matter where you fill up. European cars less so.

Anyway, this might be true, or not, but this seems plausible to me. I just wouldn't do a test of 87 vs 93, or top tier vs normal gas, on a "Canadian" car, I would do the test on a modern European import. That was my point.
Sorry, I meant it was done on a Canadian spec car. Toyota and a Chev I believe. I believe TOP TIER is another phrase for "Big name". I think the additives are detergents and mystery additives like "techron" etc to differentiate themselves from one another. I Have bought gas from every different station in Ontario and have never had a problem or noticed a difference. Having said that, I do usually use 93 or 94....not sure why.......
Appreciate 0