View Single Post
      07-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #60
martinf79
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I would never base my purchase of a $40,000+ car on what version of a nav is in the car. These things are starting to have life cycles like cell phones. Those people waiting for this next gen idrive will be wanting the next gen that will undoubtedly come out 18-24 months after they purchase their 11/12 2013 car. This nation has become technology chasers. The tech companies love it. People ditching year old technology for the latest and greatest. If I lived in my car and the iDrive was essential to my everyday routine, sure, I'd base my purchase on when the fancy new gen of iDrive was released. I just think this version thing is silly. Though BMW doesn't make it any easier when the next gen technology release lags the actual model release. They can't design and engineer this stuff concurrently? Seems odd that 11/12 2013 models get the new iDrive and not the 06/12 2013 models. Five months? Really? Doesn't it make more sense to have the next gen nav in the next gen 11/11 2012 models? I wish BMW would match releases with model years straight out the gate. makes things a lot easier. Watch. It will come down to which month your car was built if you get the new tail lights or the updated instrument cluster, etc. etc.
I agree - that's the kicker for me. Either include for all cars produced in that model year, or hold off and include as a next MY production. Mid-production introduction is what is pissing everyone off here... software releases are fine (as everyone is "elligible") ... any hardware related ... postpone ... get your SH*T together BMW...