05-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #87
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst View Post
I've just put down a $500 deposit so far. I don't care enough about the new Nav to wait for a 2014, but I feel kind of jipped paying ~$2100 for the older system.

Either way, I'm buying the car because it's a car, not a laptop. You bring up a good point though, 2014 deals will not be nearly as good, plus BMW is buying out my last 4 months of my lease and waiving new tires on my turn in. There is no way all of that is worth a fiddly new iDrive knob.
True. Updated iDrive is nice but at the end of the day we're buying the ultimate driving machine. Get an iPad/Android tablet if you want the ultimate portable Nav system. Either are WAY better than the new iDrive and its Touchpad (and likely better than whatever BMW/Harman is working on to replace NBT).

In a perfect world, BMW would get out of the entertainment electronics business and just give us a cleverly designed iPad dock (or Android) on the dash. Either would be better than NBT and likely what's coming after NBT (thanks Harman/Becker). Mount the iDrive controller and connect it to the Lightning Connector (or via BT) and write an app to control the tablet. Case closed.

Only issue would be tablet theft. Maybe allow coding of the tablet to the car so its rendered useless if removed. When an updated tablet is released BMW can charge to code the new tablet to the car.... Just a thought that would need to be expanded upon through engineering. I'm quite sure a "Locked" tablet can be made for BMW. I'd be OK with that.