04-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #36
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Labs such as Blackstone is in the business of making money, they purposely set that max. allowable unit low to create repeated business. If all you test come back good, those labs will be out of business. Just follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for oil change, if you have extra money to throw away, spend it on new rims instead
An oil change takes $50 of parts and fluids and takes all of fifteen minutes. Doing one after 1,200 miles is easy peace of mind. M cars still have it, and they largely run production based motors now.

You stated that modern engines are built to higher tolerances and don't have break in issues like older engines, but I've seen higher heavy metal numbers on newer, and especially turbo charged engines, than I did on older cars. I'm simply stating that if some BMW's recommend a low mileage oil change, and if real, measurable contaminants show up at those intervals, it's an easy decision for some of us to continue to do it on our cars. Do what you want with yours.
Appreciate 0