View Single Post
      08-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #167
DieselRocket
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d M Sport

Interesting to see this thread is still running!

I still have the knocking problems with my 2012 330d M Sport. Tried really hard with my local dealer, but it's clear that BMW UK have set a firm policy on this issue of 'no fix available'.

By the way, my car has the same noise at all four wheels - certainly nothing to do with steering or VSS from my point of view. In my car, the rears are generally more noisy.

I'm not going anti-BMW but, for me, all this is part of a wider picture of BMW really loosing their grip (no pun intended) on putting out cars that ride and handle well. The M235i that I tried put the 435d to shame for ride quality, not just handling.

If the only way of getting a BMW that has decent ride quality and handling is to buy a junior M car or a full M car, then the likes of Audi will be eating BMW's lunch very soon. Interestingly, the M235i that I drove had adaptive and, while being genuinely very engaging and great fun to drive, also had a minor case of the knocking sound at all four wheels. I'll certainly avoid adaptive on a BMW from now on.

I think BMW have dropped the quality of their springs and dampers (adaptive or passive) in the last couple of years and, in doing so, they've somehow lost sight of what has always been the essence of driving a BMW. By the sound of things, BMW have had faulty adaptive damper technology in the market for over two years on 3 and 5 series cars and they've clearly got the same thing going on with the 2 series. It's easy to make the comment from a distance, but that feels like at least 6 months too long.

I hope BMW get onto their suspension quality issues in general. Three weeks ago, I thought Audis were dull, hard-riding cars that felt numb at the front had dead steering and spongy brake pedals. I read that they've been doing a lot of work on dynamics very quietly and the way the demo 3.0TDI A5 drove certainly reflected that.

All a bit worrying. RFTs do a lot of damage to ride and handling, but are BMW also loosing their marbles for the sake of saving a few quid on cheaper dampers and springs ...?
Appreciate 0