1bad335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I/ 2012 335I sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
+1

I was going to post something similar.

The common view seems to be that on the highway there is the greatest benefit, it shows it is changing the user driving style. There is more going on with the driver than the potential to save gas at a constant cruising speed. I suggest drivers are just not willing to adjust the same in city driving, because that is where the greatest gas savings would take place. Studies clearly show it is city driving and aggressive factors that use/waste most fuel, so ECO PRO in urban/city conditions has the greatest potential for any savings.

The 'sluggish' throttle response is sort of enforcing smoothness on a lot of drivers, that improves the economy. Plus I detect (and from my own experience with ECO PRO) there is a tendency to drive a bit slower (even if only a couple of mph) to see what we can get on the highway.

HighlandPete

While some of what you say may be true. It still comes down to where you're living. City does not mean the same for all of us on here. I live in NY which off the cuff would suggest to most that we live in NYC (Manhattan). But I live on LI which is the suburbs. While it is not the city, it does have the extreme traffic conditions that cause plenty of stop and go. I do not consider myself an aggressive driver at all (sometimes maybe). But there are driving modes and options in the car so, why not choose the option you like most for your particular driving. Like I had stated earlier in this post, I do not care for the very sluggish throttle response that I experience in Eco Pro for my around town driving.

That is not to suggest that I need to be weaving in and out of traffic but I do enjoy driving this car and feeling that burst every now and again. I use and benefit from Eco Pro when I drive on the highways and on trips. I love saving some money and fuel is expensive but if I wanted to wring out every last penny on every fill up, I would not have bought this car and would have opted for a Prius. IMHO, it is up to each individual to decide which driving modes suit their particular needs. It doesn't make you an aggressive or gas wasting driver it just makes you a driver who appreciates the shear driving joy and full potential of his/her BMW. BMW's slogan is, "The ultimate driving machine" isn't that why most of us bought these cars anyway.
Appreciate 0