View Single Post
      08-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #20
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

I went Saturday the 22nd (just regular UDE, not VIP). I drove X4 35 and my partner was in the other group (328D and 428). I was 4th in our group with a time of 40 sec. Winning time was flat 39 sec. Despite the X4's more powerful engine, the winning times in the 428 group were all in 38 range, as I recall. Either we were crappier drivers or size and agility count for a lot .

Man, sitting in the back seat while the other drivers go around the course made me seriously car sick, especially after I foolishly chugged half a diet coke between test rounds. I almost passed on the track run but started to feel better.

There were a lot of squealing brakes from the teen course They were mainly in X1's (my BMW, by the way).

Test drove 228 convertible, very fun, but then the 640 convertible - oh man. That's a big sweet beast. Guy ahead of me on street drive was in 650 convertible. He let it roar down Huntington Drive. He was lucky no cop was close by!

Went last year and I don't remember the driving instructors pushing the $1000 discount as hard as they did this year. Had a feeling - just a feeling, nothing to back it up - that they're concerned if more sales don't come out of UDE, it might be discontinued. One guy said (paraphrasing) - "go to BMW and buy a car. I don't want a real job."

Unfortunately our discounts will go unused. Not in market again until January 2018. By the way the discount code came by email already, but the small print says "valid on select 2014 or 2015 models." I assume that's just outdated language.

i8 was in waiting area. Sexy car but I could not live with it, just due to the difficulty getting in and out (oh and also due to the fact I'm not spending 100K on a car). I thought a Lexus ES I drove recently where the seat moves automatically when you open the door to exit, to make it easier to get out. The i8 seat should raise up and tilt to the street. Half kidding.
Appreciate 0