Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nelyboi View Post
Thanks for the clarification.
If we didnt write a new FA to the car but tell E-sys to use FA files on the disk instead, doesn't this mean that the car now is running on 2 FA files? 1 original from the deal and 1 from our coding session, if so How does the car know which FA files to run from? or Am i going way off topic here
The car will only ever have one FA. We changed the FA in E-sys only and VO coded the ECU's to that temporary FA.

If we knew every single variable that changes when switching from 6NH to 6NK, we could have just manually changed them without changing the FA. We don't, so the easiest and safest way to get the settings changed is to change the FA (temporarily) and VO code HU_CIC and CMB_MEDIA.

As Kon says, the ECU's run from the FDL values, so there is no conflict.

Quote:
Let says if i was to VO code and a new FA to the car (add 614, 615 , 6AL), and when i take it in for an update, the VO won't match their server so what would happen in this case?
The differences in the FA may or may not cause dealer programming to fail. So the safest thing to do is to revert the FA to the original before taking it in.

If the FA matches, FDL coding changes you made will not cause programming to fail because after uploading new firmware, they just VO the modules back to their FDL defaults anyway. That will simply undo any of the FDL changes you made. You can reapply them when you get the car back.

I'd like to know if you FA was actually written when we VO coded your ECUs.

Can you connect your laptop to the car and re-read the FA? Then see if 6NK is there in the SALAPA elements.

I don't think it will be there (it should still be 6NH), but I guess it's possible that VO coding with the updated VO also forced the FA to get written.

We didn't check that when we coded your car; we did everything in one "session".

Please let us know what's there.
Appreciate 0