View Single Post
      03-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #82
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Ok, so looking at this situation from the beginning.
Of course, if you wired the BMS up wrong, the dash CEL would have lit up.
So this being the case, you got the wiring correct, which as we agree, is not hard.

When in Comfort mode, accelerating the car gently and even moderately, there really isn't any difference in performance compared to stock. If there is, it isn't perceptible. We really haven't engaged the turbo terribly much.

Staying in Comfort, when you give the pedal a little shove further down - doesn't have to be that much - and truly engage the turbo, you should be able to feel a marked difference between S1 & stock. As mentioned, I even found EP mode to go significantly better, even within EP's solid line parameters.

Ok, so go through various runs with different pedal settings in various modes. If you still feel the unit isn't working, disconnect the battery, remove the unit, reconnect the cables to stock and compare runs.

Then re-connect and try again.

Thinking about this, a very and I mean a very long shot may be that the control box didn't connect with the ecu and may need to be re-engaged. Maybe. Although I would suspect CEL warning, but one never knows.

So that may very well be your best way to check your S1 unit is truly working. If not, take matters up with your supplier.

Lastly, no matter how a post reads, we are all here to help.
Cheers
All very good and logical points and explanation.

I know some won't agree with me and that's ok, but I don't use Eco "Pro" at all as it just sucks as it makes driving my BMW feel anemic.
Light steering effort, ultra soft throttle, and way to quick to shift up trans operation. It's not a 'sport' sedan in that mode.
For those reasons I don't even use 'comfort' mode.
It's become reflex now to start the engine and engage 'sport' before shifting into gear.

It seems odd to me that anyone interested in getting a tune for more performance would want to be in anything except 'sport' mode.
If MPG is a concern, then simply dip into the throttle less.
The best method to control MPG is to know how to use your throttle.
Being in sport mode and/or having a quicker more responsive throttle doesn't mean your MPG should or will go down, you control the throttle.
To me comfort and Eco Pro are nanny's for those who can't control their throttle properly.

I have the DH package which gives me a couple more chassis and drive train settings. But, even with the added settings I still can't set MY car to have driving attributes that I want.
I want the sharpest throttle response with the firmest steering effort with "comfort" AT operation. I can't get that because BMW can't be bothered to provide proper programming to allow the driver to set things the way he wants them.
Appreciate 0