Thread: Sport mode?
View Single Post
      09-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

When you shift the lever to the left in the F30, the sport mode of the transmission is engaged. This has the car rev higher before upshifting and downshifts are also at a higher rpm than normal, hence sport. The changes are also sharpened up and the display that would normally show "D" will now show "S" plus the gear you're in, i.e. "S3". The transmission is still in automatic mode until you either shift sequentially on the lever or use the flappy paddles. This will change the display to "M" plus the gear you're in, i.e. "M3". The car is now in full manual mode and will not revert back to D (automatic) like it would if the lever was not pushed to the left. However, the car will downshift itself if the revs fall far too low and in Comfort, will upshift itself at the redline.

Going into Sport or Sport + mode means the car will not upshift itself and will just let you bounce off the rev-limiter. Sport mode will weight up the steering for more feel, sharpen the throttle response and if you have Adaptive M Suspension, stiffen up the dampers. Also, if the transmission is in position D (not to the left), the car will hold on to lower gears for longer, upshift at higher rpm and downshift at higher rpm, just like if you push the lever to the left. However, the effect is not as profound as moving the lever to the left (DS or M/S), so it may only drop 1 gear whereas moving to the left may see it drop 2 gears and upshift/downshift at even higher rpm. Also, Sport mode does not directly effect the sharpness or speed of the gear change, so you will need to push the lever left for the sharp changes.

That said, the transmission will adapt to your driving style and shift accordingly to some extent, even in Comfort.

Sport + just activates Dynamic Traction Control, which optimises forward momentum with restricted stability. In other words, it backs off the traction and stability control a little so you can hoon a little without killing yourself.

Sounds complicated, but you'll pick it up quick!!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0