09-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #14
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Also, if the transmission is in position D (not to the left), the car will hold on to lower gears for longer, upshift at higher rpm and downshift at higher rpm, just like if you push the lever to the left. However, the effect is not as profound as moving the lever to the left (DS or M/S), so it may only drop 1 gear whereas moving to the left may see it drop 2 gears and upshift/downshift at even higher rpm. Also, Sport mode does not directly effect the sharpness or speed of the gear change, so you will need to push the lever left for the sharp changes.
I have to admit I didn't know this. I obviously knew the lever knocked to the left and that the rocker switch altered the gear change in Sport/Sport+ but I'd never actually tried a combination of the two. Though I have since reading this

To be honest I don't often mess with the flappy paddles (trying to second guess this gearbox??) and tend to stick with auto. When I do have a run on my favourite road and change the drive settings it appears I was just using Sport Lite.

And no, I never read the handbook.
Appreciate 0