Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
DIY - Blackvue Dashcam Hardwire - ALL with the fusebox, no sketchy wiring

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the forum about how to hardwire a dash cam. Lots of arguing over which fuses to use, some people saying you can't use fuses and you must tap the battery, etc, etc.

The truth of the matter is that you CAN use all fuses, no need to ghetto tap the battery directly or anything like that.

I'm using a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH with a MotoPark Multi Safer for constant power and timed shutdown. Notice I AM NOT using a PowerMagic Pro, the MultiSafer is much better.

First thing you'll want to do is mount the camera! Here is the location I went with:

It's not visible from the drivers seat, which is very convenient:

This part only applies to coupes:

Running the wires was easy, you tuck the wires first into the mirror cover, then into the headliner, from there you go into the A pillar, and then into the suede cover that runs across the top of the window. Next is around the B pillar and down into the space between the rear coupe window and the vinyl. After this I went up the C pillar to get to wire to the third break light cover, and behind the seat belt assembly to get down to the trunk. I'll take some better pics but realistically its very easy when you get in the car and look at it.

The cables can be tucked more, this is just to help you get an idea.

Now for the part you really needed info on, wiring. This too is very simple.

For the BATT+ you'll use an add a fuse on fuse #161.
For ACC+ you'll use an add a fuse on fuse #143
For ground you'll just attach to the bolt on the car's 3G connection receiver.

My MultiSafer is set to shut down if the battery reaches 12.2v or after 6 hours of recording. There are plenty of other options that you can choose based on what you're trying to get out of the camera. For me, I don't need it to run all night and record the car in my driveway, I really am more concerned with security while the car is parked in parking lots for a few hours.

As you can see I used a good amount of elec tape to make things clean, I also used some double sided foam tape to hold down the cig lighter connector.

With this setup I have had no issues thus far and the whole thing looks very clean.

The tape does bother me a little bit (doesn't really look perfect), so I might replace that with some black double sided 3m tape, since the Blackvue included tape is see-thru.

I'll be sure to update this thread with driving video shortly.