01-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Because it usually IS? In short, glass is not glass. Some quick Googling of "soft BMW windshield" or "BMW windshield pitting" will probably provide some overwhelming data for you to digest.

There are many variables that will affect everyone's experiences. In my region, there's a ton of crap on the roads that's constantly getting kicked up. Anyone familiar with the PA and NJ turnpikes will be able to relate. I've had over 20 BMWs of all vintages. I replace windshields as a routine maintenance item. None of my other cars (driven on the same roads) have had as many. Hell, I have two pits already on my new car with 1,800 miles on the clock. And I've been very careful to stay far behind other cars and trucks. I don't even know where or when I got them.
My Evo VIII had a HORRIBLY thin windshield = weight savings for a "rally" car, right? Cracked in 2 years, had it replaced with "OEM" like, and never cracked, MUCH thicker...so yeah, BMW is probably like the Mitsu Evo, thin glass for weight savings.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0