03-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
"If a crash was unavoidable, the system applies the vehicle’s brakes automatically and brings it to a standstill, without the driver needing to act. This reduces – or in an ideal case completely rules out– the probability of secondary of follow-on collisions and their consequences."
I'm with you guys, this is completely nonsensical. If your vehicle slams on the brakes to avoid an "unavoidable" collision (oxymoron), chances are that this will totally increase the possibility of the vehicle behind you slamming into your rear-end. Unless, of course, this is an imaginary BMW world where all of the vehicles are networked and sensing each other's decisions.

They probably should have said, "If a crash was highly likely, the system applies the vehicle's brakes automatically, without the driver needing to act. Seat belts are automatically tensioned, and windows are rolled up, to protect the environment from your flying body parts. BMW Assist will also be automatically notified that you will be needing a new rear bumper and neck brace when the vehicle behind you slams into your a$$".