View Single Post
      01-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #55
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakered View Post
This post has too many anomolyies for me.

You talk about the whole European market while your details say you are a UK resident (which I accept is part of Europe…) You quote prices in euros, yet these are not used in the UK. You say you were offered 25k euros on your car but cannot remember how old it was when you got the trade-in value. Surely everyone knows how old their car is (not least in the first few months of ownership)! Also you quote the trade in value in euros but surely no UK dealer would offer to pay you euros and if you tried to sell it in the euro area, why would a European dealer want a car with righthand drive?

You say your car was worth 50k euros when new. This is £42k in GBP but your car is a manual two litre diesel F30. In Luxury trim this currently lists are £31k. You are therefore being offered 81% of the current value… Since you claim you buy your BMWs with a 33% discount, the 25k euro offer will leave you in profit.

Or do you have £11k of options?

Sorry to nitpick but I spent the last 20 years of my working life looking for dodgy numbers in company financial statements and investment proposals and fear I cannot break the habit of questioning numbers in retirement.
Haha, I love how much thought you've put into this! You're spot on with your questions though.

To explain, the deal I get is one of the only situations where you can by a Left Hand Drive car in the UK and pay the Sterling price. Previously I've bought RHD cars and sold them back in the UK but this time I thought I might be able to benefit from weak Sterling by buying a LHD car and selling on Continental Europe which is where I'm living at the moment. Hence me mixing £ and € prices .

I can't remember what the list price is of the options I chose but going from your £31k figure it must've been about £9k as the list price for the car with options was about £40k. The €50k is a red herring, though, as that’s the approximate Euro list price of the car – not the € equivalent of the £ list price. Since the pound has dropped, and also thanks to some strange pricing differences in options between the UK and the Continent, the € list price of my car is a fair bit more than you might imagine just by converting the £ price into €s.

Now you've got me thinking about it, maybe the options were my mistake - most of my previous cars only had some basic options ticked - but I can't really be bothered to go over the figures again as what matters for me and my decision now whether to keep or sell the car is that the car is now worth quite a lot less in € than I paid in £s, when I had hoped to break even.

As for the timing of the quote - I do know exactly how old my car is! I just couldn't remember when I got the quote - whether it was when the car was 12 months old or, say, 15 months old.

Last edited by Feanor; 01-11-2014 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0