View Single Post
      12-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #34
c.cash
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i modern line

irony,

I know what you mean about this part of the decision being difficult. Like you, I preferred the Luxury and Modern lines to the Sport line, but I was concerned after reading about so many people praising the sport seats.

When I went to the dealer to order my car, we spent about an hour discussing and looking at the options (besides my many hours of online research). When I told the CA that the seats were a big concern because of my commute, he said, "Then go with the sport seats, no question". That wasn't really what I wanted to hear, but I took him seriously. I told him I needed to compare the two, and he said, "sure, there's two 3's right there (in the showroom). One is a Sport line."

I didn't like the side bolstering (though the few times I've been pushing it on mountain roads I can see where it would be really nice). The adjustable thigh/hamstring thingy was nice, but otherwise, I didn't feel much difference.

Unfortunately, the batteries were disconnected in both cars, so I couldn't make any realistic adjustments, and here is my advice to you:

Make sure you take a Sport Line on a long test drive, and then take a Modern or Luxury out. (For some odd reason, I've found over the years that when comparing two things, if you go from better to worse, it's much easier to tell than if you go from worse to better. So start with the Sport and see if the Luxury is a downgrade.) Don't do what I did; I regret not insisting that we take a Sport line out for a drive because I didn't want to be a pain.

I think the leather seats in my Modern line are pretty comfortable, but nothing amazing. I wonder sometimes how the sports seats would be on my drive, and really wish I'd done a proper test drive... At least then I'd know.

By the way, aside from the bolstering and the thigh support, does anyone know exactly what the other differences are? Are the padding materials the same?

Good luck!
Appreciate 0