View Single Post
      01-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
Well, it's kind of like saying the techs in the US and the techs in Germany are the same... I think cars are taken MUCH more seriously in Germany, and far more qualification is required to work on them there. So... I would take a car made entirely there if possible. Though I agree that over time, automation is increasing so much that it matters less and less.
That's quite an assumption. Do you have any evidence for that?

Please don't compare US cars to German cars as that is no indication of "far more qualification" for as assembly line.
Engineering is what determines how a car will function.
An American automobile built by US workers is not designed by those workers, they assembly what they are given, just as a BMW line worker assembles what he/she is given.

As you've already pointed out, automation is huge with BMW.
But companies like Hyundai and Kia have some of the most modern assembly plants in the world and their automobiles demonstrate the modernity of assembly. Those cars are built to a price point, just as a BMW is built to a price point.

So, what evidence do you have to support your assertion that German assembly line workers are better trained or take it more seriously?
We all know that reliability is not a BMW winning point. So, is the fault with the design/engineering, the assembly, or the workers putting all that together?
As a whole, in 2011, the German brands are in the bottom half of reliability ratings, the US brands towards the middle, and the Asian brands towards the top.
Appreciate 0