Thread: 328i N20 Tunes
View Single Post
      05-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
the n20 motor is built around the same foundation as the n54 and n55 motors (direct injection, siemens dme, etc). there is "tune detection" software built in, but i'd wager that all tunes that come out will address that in one way or another. for the piggybacks, you'll probably have to clear the codes and remove the tune before dealer visits; no big deal. when cobb accessport is released, it will be implemented like it is on the n54; flash to a cobb map, run that, flash back to stock map, no trace of the flash ever being here.

you don't need to worry about running lean or rich by changing out a few bolt-on parts. closed loop fueling ensures you won't run lean or rich from swapping in an intake or catless downpipe. you can run full bolt ons withouth causing any lean or rich issues.

you will get codes from running a catless downpipe. the n55 in the e90 still has yet to have a bms dpfix released like the n54 has. this is key to passing emissions. most tunes will auto-clear or prevent the CEL and codes from appearing from running a catless downpipe. they won't enable you to set readiness though, which is what most states are requiring to pass emissions. CA is about to do away with smog testing in 2013, so you won't have to worry about that on the f30, since the first 2 years are covered under the new vehicle sale.

the same group of tuners will most likely move onto the n20 engine: bms, vishnu, cobb, GIAC, etc. i'd recommend you research the n54 forum to see what tunes are known for doing x and which are known for doing y. i will say, i've ran most major tunes before on my n54 vehicles (cobb, bms jb4, vishnu procede). i liked the vishnu procede the best. there's a procede for the n55, and i'm sure shiv will begin working on the n20 once this single turbo madness settles down.

overall, just don't be suckered in by a cheap price and the first product to make it to the market. i'd bet cobb and procede won't be available for a while, and those will likely be the best tunes for the n20, all things considered.
Appreciate 0