10-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #17
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
However the ATS having a mechanical limited slip and better discounting after then initial new toy factor wears off make it interesting to me.
Both of those things make it interesting to me as well. I would love to see more manufacturers start doing the mechanical LSD in compared to the "standard" e-diff that has become so popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Nice comparison. It's always nice to see comparison dynos run on the same dyno, even if they're not on the same day. It provide a lot more confidence in the comparison.

Regarding Cadillac and the ATS in the US. I think it's kind of silly how much hate gets piled on the Cadillac brand. Yes, there were several years where the product coming out of Detroit was garbage. The big three have paid the price for that blunder.

If this car weren't a Cadillac, would you really call this old person styling?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....ac-ats-026.jpg

I honestly think Cadillac makes some of the most modern looking cars on the road. Their angular designs with sweeping headlights and LED tails look very futuristic to my eye. They're very minimalist, which is a contemporary design technique. I mean, can you picture this with a vynil top? I can't.

Would I take an ATS over an F30? I've driven both, and I can confidently say that's a "no". While Cadillac has improved significantly, I still prefer the driving character of a BMW.

I won't allow myself to fall victim to a false dichotomy though. Just because one car is good does not make all the others bad. The ATS is a great car, even if it's not for me.
I agree completely with everything you said. I, too, have driven both, they are both great cars in their own right, but for what I am looking for in a car, the F30 wins this one. At the rate that Cadillac has been improving though, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them start to get on par with or better than a large majority of the competition in the coming years.
Appreciate 0