View Single Post
      03-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
While xenons do improve visibility, it's not like halogens aren't bright enough - if people can't see well enough with halogens then I think they need their eyes testing! I have halogens on my 118D and can't say I've ever struggled to see at night with them. The increased visibility is, for me, just "nice to have" - it's not essential.

The only true functional reason I can see of having xenons is having Adaptive Headlights. I had this on my 2007 330D and it's really, really useful. And very cool. How useful it'd be in Singapore, though, is another matter.
I beg to differ: I have adaptive xenons and I hardly ever use it because forget to switch the headlight switch to "auto" for these to work, and I don't use the auto mode because the law mandates that the lights should also be used in daylight on highways so I need to use the manual setting. Also there is no need for adaptives in city or highway driving, only on backroads.

On the other hand, no one buys a second-hand car without xenons; no one likes the halogen lights, day for looks or night for function. They can ruin a car's appearance and a car's value.

But yes, a base model BMW does have its merits, if it is bought as base model, with no options including xenons.
Appreciate 0