01-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
RE: Hijack:
I agree with you regarding not taking any responsibility when coding other peoples cars. I always tell people that are interested that I will not touch their car and I take no responsibility if something goes wrong. What I do is let them use my cable and laptop. They plug it in, and they do the coding themselves while I show them what to do, step-by-step. If they are not willing to do that, I suggest that they go to a shop to have it done. I've done about 12 F30's cars so far that way and never had a problem.

I also agree that the little extra things that coding provides are the cherry on top of the ice cream; TPMS, mirrors, phone ringtone, etc make the whole experience better.

[off soapbox]
Frogman, you're a good guy, letting people use your equipment. I guess I wouldn't mind lending folks the cable -- but actually using my PC seems a bridge too far for my tastes.

It seems to me that folks who want to code their cars need to be able to do it themselves. What just happened to me -- a dealer re-program -- wipes the customizations (a good thing, actually). That means that once you code someone's car and they get addicted to having all this cool stuff, they'll be back again and again to "borrow" your stuff. The more you do it for folks, the more likely something will happen to piss off the recipient of your largess.

It's nice to help your fellow brother out, of course. But this isn't a one-time thing. It's a long-term relationship. And like the relative who comes to "visit" for a year, it could be hard to reset expectations.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0