View Single Post
      02-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
stom_m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sequoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Nice write up. My only concern was with the note earlier about the shifting. I love the way it shifts now and wouldnt want to change a thing (one of the reasons buying an auto makes so much sense in these cars).

That and the elephant in the room about, what if something goes wrong will BMW try to say it was caused by the tune...

I'm leaning towards getting one when the spring weather hits, which may also be around the time BMW finally puts the PPK for sale.
Ok, so tonight i was able to do a couple of 0-60mph runs with and without the stage 1 harness. I downloaded a $0.99 app called Speedometer Pro. Good, bad, ugly, the app was cheap and seemed to do what I needed it to do in the 5 seconds it took me to find an app and download it.

Keep in mind that this was not done scientifically whatsoever. Once I figured out how the program worked, I did only one hard run with and without the harness. Could I have refined and quickened my times? Yes, but I didn't have all night and I didn't want to piss all the neighbors off while I wore out my tires.

Also, I wouldn't really look at the times as end all be all numbers. I would say that achieving a quicker time was a whole lot easier with the harness than without. And, yes the harness is that easy to plug in and out. Between runs was about 3 minutes.

Ok, so enough with all of the non-scientific dummy statements already. I put the car in sports + mode and recorded my time. My 0-60 time without the stage 1 harness was 6.3s and with the stage 1 harness was 5.2s. I didn't throttle brake the car either. From a stop, I stomped on the gas and shifted with the paddles at 6-6.5k rpm's. I'm sure these numbers are well off what the car can do but same for same, it was easier to achieve a quicker time with the harness.

As for the shifting, the shifting is still quick with the stage 1 harness but I would say that the car has an easier time shifting with less power. When not WOT the shifting is the same. Possibly someone else can comment on the shifting who has the stage 1 tune.

Showing the app with the stage 1 harness time.

Showing the two times. The time #1 was with the stage 1 harness, time #2 was without the harness. I'm a believer. The tune works.

Appreciate 0