11-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #59
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm not doubting your figures here, but if you are 'nursing' the engine, I'm surprised you are so low. The 328i I tested was very economical on the OBC, driving the way I was driving my 330d. In fact if the OBC was accurate, at 42.4mpg after 90 miles, I was bettering the mpg driving my 330d touring in the same manner.

We need more mpg data, and that takes time and experience to get the true picture of a model's consumption. The average showing up on Honest John's Real MPG site for the 328i saloon is 38.6mpg for the auto, so setting the pattern of what it can do.

Don't forget the 6-pot petrols can deliver some impressive results when cruising at around 70mph. My 5-series will be around 40mpg at a constant 70mph.

We still haven't got much data on the 330d, but first 'longer use' postings on this site, averaged about 41mpg, didn't they? I jest, but that is giving us a clue to consumption.

The Honest John Real MPG figure for the F10 530d auto is showing 38.8mpg. What's the typical 3-series improvement on the five, for a similar engine, about 3mpg as an average?

Of course we will get the high figures, "my 330d does 50mpg", etc., but the averages are what sets the true baseline for comparing consumption.

HighlandPete
The biggest factor on how economical a particular car is.....the driver.

It is amazing how two drivers can do the same trip in the same car and record wildly differing consumption figures.

I don't try to 'hypermile' any car I own. I am very good at predicting and forward thinking my drive, which saves a huge amount of fuel. My fuel consumption as a result is in the mid to high returns for a particular car. My current C220CDI merc has averaged just over 52mpg throughout it's life (50k miles), which is not in the realms of 'My 220 just did 65mpg' type headlines, but way above the average of mid 40's.

Fuel consumption, is therefore unique to the owner IMO, being plus or minus x% over/under base line figures for a particular car.
Appreciate 0