View Single Post
      04-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #120
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
So many complaints about ASS and I really don't see why.

I was driving in town the last few days and the wait time in front of a red light here in Honolulu is easily 2-3 minutes if not longer. I didn't feel it as a bother or anything that my car shuts down for a short period,...
I am not opposed at all to the concept of ASS. After three days of driving my F30, I think it is the implementation (or algorithm) that needs a little tweaking.

I have no problem with it shutting down for the 2-3 minute stop you mentioned, but the shutdowns for the shorter stops don't seem very productive.

I'll give you an example. My house is two homes down from an intersection with a stop sign on my side. So yesterday morning (50 degrees) I start the car, back out of the driveway and drive about 60 feet to the stop sign to make my right turn. Bang. ASS shuts down the engine. I let off the brake and immediately make my turn and drive off. I was not stopped more than two seconds tops as there was no cross traffic.

This scenario can't possibly have saved one drop of fuel and is needless wear on components. Plus the car was still cold and I was cold.

I think the ASS parameters need a little refining.
Appreciate 0