View Single Post
      11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #32
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Well you have to put it in perspective. First, BMW has to keep up with features offered by competitors, apps and such. That type of integration needs processing power. Second, these Nav systems typically have 5 year lifespans before they appear dated. The current system was introduced for MY2009, and surely was in development for 1-2 years prior. Several MY2013 and MY2014 cars will still use the current system, so they got a solid 5 years out of it. Now, with the new system, they have to build it fast enough now to support 5 more years of use/applications.

I've updated the software on my '12 M3, it was painless.

If you want to see the new iDrive in action, here is a video http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05/bmw-idrive-4x/

If you're familiar with the current-gen system, you'll immediately notice the increase speed based on user input, as well as more detail in the maps.
Well seems to me that when BMW released this system to the 5 series and 7 first, it was obviously a priority to have the higher priced models get the upgrade first.

Many 13 3 series drivers are even more tech savvy. its a shame its not on the new 13s!
Appreciate 0