11-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #15
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Again, I am not up on the most recent laws, I do not believe a gun with a serial number is register with government. I do not believe the manufactures have to tell the government they made a gun and sold it. They have to keep recordsto whom each serial number was sold, no different than Automotive companies. I am not sure what gun dealer do. In the case of an auto, once the car is sold to the public and title transfer the government track each an every owner of the car. Gun are not done this way, the information is still in paper form and not in any electronic database. This is what people would like, they would like to trace every gun like they do with a car.

I this case define what Registered means?
This is correct as far as i know. The only time the government knows who an authorized firearm dealer sold a gun to is when they have the serial number because it was used in a crime.

The laws are different from Autos to Guns because owning a gun is a constitutional right and owning a car is not.

People like to think there is no way to trace a gun to who purchased it and where, but as you can see from the Vegas incident, that is not true. The authorities and media were interviewing the firearms dealers where he bought the guns within a day or so of the shooting. Now if he had purchased from a private seller who originally purchased the gun as new, the police would have been at the original purchaser's door asking questions. That private seller had better have a bill of lading along with a DL info proving the person he sold it to was a state resident. Otherwise, the original seller would be facing charges for not following private sale protocol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I think the story got it basically right - don't know why the OP wrote "I love how ignorant the people that write these things are. They make it seem like if you buy the parts it doesn't have to be legal or have a serial number. "

That seems to be exactly what happens - you assemble a pile of parts that you bought for the purpose, and voila, you are a clever little guy with an AR15 that nobody has official records of. Now TECHNICALLY our shooter might have had some obligation to register it, but since I think he was under an order of protection he probably 'neglected' to do that. This whole post illustrates that this is now common knowledge how to skirt restrictions on these types of guns. If you firearms lovers don't get your heads out of your butts and start putting legislation in place that will actually permit sensible controls, then eventually the public will revolt and take them all away. Right now the NRA is making a joke out of any legal efforts, mostly in the name of pumping up sales. A 5 year old can see that the laws are gerrymandered into uselessness, and it makes all of you legitimate shooters and sportsmen look like you are supporting these maniacs.
1st, one does not simply "assemble a pile of parts". One first has to finish the last 20% of the manufacturing of what is called, the firearm. This usually at least involves owning a drill press. One may be able to get by using a drill, but it's not easy and certainly isn't precise. It's much easier to get a fake ID and buy one used in your state. 2nd, anyone who has been into firearms didn't need this post to illustrate how to produce a firearm for personal use. Only those who let their emotions run them view this as some modern day loop hole allowing millions of criminals access to guns who otherwise wouldn't be able to access them.

You act like we the firearms lovers, make the laws. We most certainly do not. In turn i suppose i'd respond with; If you gun haters don't get your heads out of your asses and start proposing legislation that actually makes sense and has a snowball's chance in hell of preventing anyone other than law abiding citizens from owning guns, then you'll continue to be met with fierce opposition. There are a few reasonable laws that could be put in place, but gun haters don't want to hear about them. It seems they're only interesting in reducing the law abiding citizen's ability to own guns.

The current laws aren't useless. In fact if they had been followed by the entities of the government which instituted the current laws, the Texas church shooting may well have never happened. There are reasonable laws on the books that are not being enforced. There are reasonable laws on the books which law enforcement officials admit they lack the manpower to enforce. So the first thing you may hear from a gun lover once they get their head from their ass is them suggesting that when you take your head out of your own ass, you might want to first call for the proper enforcement of the current laws on the books. While you're at it, ask the government prosecutors to stop bypassing mandatory minimum sentences when it comes to prosecuting criminals who used a gun in a crime.

Also, one might deduce from your logic, that all Muslims who don't openly denounce the few Islamic Radicals and call for more legislation to prevent terrorism, which actually only regulate themselves, look to you like they support all those maniacs.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 11-20-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Appreciate 5
Mandi90TT2712.00
DGM339.00
zx10guy5149.50