View Single Post
      07-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #16
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

BMW individual is horrible, $4,000 for a color, Audi has about 100 colors to choose from and is only $2,500. Audi used to only be $1,500 but I think they saw how much BMW was charging and decided they could add $1,000 to their price and still look like a bargain compared to BMW (which it is).

BMW needs to give us more standard options and not make the process so complicated. Its not just BMW either, other European car companies are the same way, Europe gets so many more options than we do. Audi again for instance lets you get Nappa leather in a standard A4 for only $600 pounds more than their basic leather (in England and other European countries) but in the US you have to get the S4 to get that leather. I would pay that in a heartbeat if it was available here. Same goes with BMW, why not offer their nicer leather in a 3 series, I bet a ton of people would pay $1,000 for it and you know their cost is not that much. Its not going to canabilize sales of anything either.

Makes me wonder if the reason they make individual orders so complicated and don't offer more luxury items that Europe gets is because in the US you can back out of the purchase at any time before you take delivery. They can require a $2,000 deposit but if the car comes in and you don't like that color you can just say no I don't want it, and they are required by law to give you your $2,000 back! even if its an individual order (unless they have a way around that law that I am unaware of).
Appreciate 0