View Single Post
      07-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
dbpe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Just thinking outside the box for a moment. If I have a set of normal brakes that are strong enough to lock up the wheels (at 60mph), a bigger set wouldn't do a better job of locking up the wheels. But we don't want to lock them, so we use an ABS system. When I use an ABS system, the brakes run on the edge of lockup (going in and out of it), so they create more heat and would fade more (locked up brakes don't get hotter once they are locked up). If the normal brakes can dissipate heat to the point they can still lock the wheels if the ABS told them to, bigger brakes shouldn't make a difference (for the one run). Bigger brakes might grip faster (lock up sooner) than normal brakes, but that could be adjusted by playing with the brake system boost. It would seem to me that the braking is actually dependant on the efficiency of the ABS, and most importantly the grip of the tires. I'm thinking that in a single run the bigger brakes wouldn't stop you any faster, but would only be of benefit if you were doing enough braking to make the normal ones fade (and many articles have mentioned that they don't fade during their tests). I'm sure there has to be more to it than this. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0