View Single Post
      10-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #14
TaranF32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

I'm in pretty much the same position, am very fortunate to have an F32 4 series as a uni student.

Background when I took out my current policy.
LV - £1800
Aged 19
Live in Portsmouth
Car is on driveaway
Full time education, living away.
Both parents on the policy as named drivers
3 points on my licence for SP50 (Speeding )
Driving 2 years with 2 years NCB
LV give the option to select parking sensors and dashcam to reduce the policy price which my car has. There's further discount if you have auto emergency braking.

I found that having my location at my halls of residence or my new uni house doubled the premium so didn't bother, and my car is at home most of the time anyways. My area is quite low crime/risk so works in my favour thankfully.

Cheaper to say I was a student living away than living at home or in full time work.

My previous car, a 2010 Polo 1.2 was £1200 for the first year with Directline with blackbox, second year was £1300 with the points on my licence and one year NCB, as I was going into my 3rd year of driving it was £750 with hastings and no blackbox.

Funnily enough I was looking at the BMW 218i M sport coupe as the 1.5l engine was coming in at around £1300-400. The 420d was coming at around £3000. Didn't even know BMW did a 418d until I saw one on Autotrader. Started searching for quotes and at £1800 I didn't think that was bad for a 2.0l coupe! Especially considering my age, points on my licence and the price difference betweent a 418d and 420d.

I'll spend ages looking at renewal quotes from various companies. Best for me was LV.
Still, can't get insurance on anything bigger than a 2.0 without paying £5k+, which I'm simply not prepared to pay.

Annoys me how expensive car insurance is, if people didn't put in so many b'llocks claims for whiplash, compensation etc and bodyshops didn't overcharge for insurance work then it'd be so much more economical. Guess that's just how the world works though!
Appreciate 0