05-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #20
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy522 View Post
Actually I had not researched this topic and thusly I was not aware it was done to death. Sorry....maybe it is also seen as bashing, but in reality if anyone was to test drive them side then I guess that's where the naysayers would be put in their place. Honestly I was just so surprised about how similar I anticipated feel of the ergonomics to be....but was let down (sorry - not trying to bash again!). I am not comparing the ride differences due to tire and wheel deviations nor am I comparing a normal ride to a sport package ride. I am a seasoned driver w/substantial experience to know the difference expected between high performance tire/wheels w/Std offerings and the ride deviation that comes with it.

Yes the 335 and 328 targets are different but overall the German quality has gone down ....that was more my point.

Note: The dealership might have locked much of the iDrive out on the loaner (if possible) since there are no options for lighting, ASS, lock/unlock, even changing the radio station presets! I'm guessing that's also why there is no Bluetooth or music input options available. The phone and "speak" buttons don't work on the steering wheel either, again maybe a locked out "feature".

Oh and a quip about the steering wheel buttons: I do appreciate the more functions available w/the new design - however for US drivers (same for all other right drive countries) The buttons seem like they are on the opposite side for ergonomics sake. All of the cruise control buttons are on the left section and all radio, phone and others are clustered on the right side. The right side (on a NA drive vehicle) will likely be held (with a single hand) while one shifts gears. Swapping the steering wheel buttons would seem appropriate as no-one would ever be setting cruise controls and shifting at the same time. Where-as one may be more likely to use the other buttons while shifting or preparing to shift.

Wow that engine does sputter to a stop and start as mentioned before w/328's. I'm guessing that feature was designed to limit emissions as well as provide BMW with a future in parts and service?
You now have driving modes, ECO/Comfort/Sport and or Sport+ that now have a drastic difference in the feel of responsiveness and steering weight that come standard on the F30 that you did not on the E90. Many guys have a habit of getting in an F30 and not even knowing what to do with those settings.

I find the F30 interior a great place to be, the E90 has felt dated to me for a long while. The only place I find really cheapened is the felt liner of the door pockets, the E90 was completely lined while the F30 has much less.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0