Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
The 330D out accelerates the 320D and has a 6cyl engine against a 4cyl,
but is it worth an extra £5200 plus?
As I certainly would not buy a pre-owned 330D, that was the figure I was looking at in June this year when I made the choice of a 320D.
Fuel consumption? Whatever you lads get on a 330D it’s nowhere as good as the 320D. It never will be.
Tyre wear? The extra wear on a 320D compared with a 320i is quite noticeable. If the acceleration is there, you use it! No doubt about it! The wear on a 330D compared with a 320D? I dread to think!
Acceleration? OK if you are driving for the Police, but for an everyday run around the 330D is too much of a risk for the Driving Licence. The 320D can be bad enough for me.
A 6 cyl engine? For me, the only real advantage: the possibility of smoother running, as a 4 cyl diesel can be a little obvious at low RPM.
But a 330D plus, is the possiblity of better track days at Brands.
For me, extra acceleration and smooth running was just not worth an extra £5200!
The disadvantages of the 330D far outweigh its advantages i.e.
a)Higher servicing costs
b)Greater tyre wear
c)Higher fuel consumption
d)Nose heavy
e) Higher road tax
f)Higher insurance
g)An extra £5200!
You touch on it with smoother running - but its more more than that. The 330d, is more refined, less vibration (diesel tingle) and actually sounds nice under acceleration - it has half a soul*. Something which cant really be said about a diesel.

The 320d is great on paper, but driving it the biggest drawback is engine. Dont get me wrong, i have a 520d Touring as our family runabout and it does the job magnificently. But on a cold start or a set of traffic lights errrggggg i dont like it at all. I dont rev it hard, best to cruise in it.

The 530d and 330d i had previously just make driving so much more fun.

*on petrols have a full soul

Last edited by TMP; 12-07-2012 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0