11-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
I'll admit I do empathize with them a little considering their livelihood is tied to how many/much cars they can sell...but sulking about it to the customer is a little over the line and something I wouldn't expect from a BMW salesman...kind of a passive aggressive F-you in their language I suppose.

It's absolutely an F-you.

I have two perspectives on this as to whether I empathize or not. In the case of a rare car on the lot (a 335, an Msport, etc.) then it may be a prudent business decision not to discount too much, as even if it results in one consumer walking, there may be someone else who walks into their dealer an hour later willing to pay substantially more.

It's different when it comes to ordering a car, however. A significant discount should be de rigueur in these cases, as the dealer is guaranteed an immediate sale. The CA shouldn't be unhappy, as they get additional volume that month and are one step closer to their volume bonus. When I visited my local dealers to order my car, none of my local dealers were willing to be anywhere close to reasonable. My best offer was a $2,500 discount off a > $57k MSRP, so I walked and went out-of-state. In my case, I have zero empathy for the local CAs.
Appreciate 0