View Single Post
      11-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Heiznberg
///
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I can offer some insight, as I recently traded my GTI Mk6 for a 335i M Sport.

Engine. I can't knock the 328i as it has a great motor, but it wasn't what I was looking for. Like you, I had quite high expectations coming from the GTI. It just wasn't a big enough leap in the performance department. The N55 engine is a different story, though. There's a reason why this engine receives outstanding acclaim and reviews. The numbers are great, 0-60mph in 4.7 seconds, 1/4-mile in 13 seconds, etc., but it's not just about the numbers. The 335i doesn't run out of breath in the way the 328i and GTI does. It just keeps pulling and pulling, has a great sound and just feels more solid. That's what sold me.

Gearbox. There is no doubt that DSG is a sportier transmission, but BMW's sport automatic comes damn close and is slightly smoother. I told myself I would never own a standard automatic after driving DSG, but I'm really impressed with this gearbox. It seems to shift nearly as fast as DSG when you have it in Sport or Manual mode.

Handling. Because of the considerably longer wheelbase on the 3-series, there is an adjustment curve when you're coming from the GTI. After two weeks in the 335i, I believe it handles about the same as the GTI, if not better - especially when you consider the size and weight. I love the way this car handles!

Fit and finish, build quality. I have to disagree. I feel like BMW has a slightly tighter fit/finish and build quality. To me, it is certainly a step up from the GTI. I can definitely see your POV if you test drove a standard model 328i, or even the Sport model. But the M Sport has some really nice details that sets it apart from the rest of the pack. The steering wheel alone (shared with the M6) gives it a completely different feel.

Technology. Ditto

This is my first BMW and I don't see myself ever going back. Before the Mk6 GTI, I owned a Mk5 GTI and Mk4 R32. I also owned a VW CC and Audi TT. I've always been a Volkswagen/Audi guy. Moving up to a 335i, I couldn't be happier. It really is the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Appreciate 0