United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
For the 3, 5, and 7 series sedans, yes this lines up, but the coupes don't line up as directly as your comparison states. The C207 E-Class coupe is built on a C-class chassis with a E-Class stylized body and interior. Nothing has changed in this regard from the W208 and W209 CLK Class before it. Same principle.

You can't really compare the E-Class coupe directly to the 6-series. For one thing, the base price of a 6-series is about 20K more than an E-Class coupe, and the 6 is nearly 8 inches longer (heh). IMO, the 3-coupe (E92) and now the 4 series will compete with both the C-class coupe and E-Coupe, depending on options, trim, and engine. 6 will compete with the CLS and possibly the CL on a very limited basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
I'm sorry but you fell victim to marketing.

C class platform serves to two coupes; the "cheap looking" C class Coupe and the E class coupe. E class coupe is 100% C class.

CLS was from the first series an E class with a nicer shell; one of the most profitable cars for Mercedes. (very high profit margin).

The new 4Coupe is going to compete with the E class Coupe. The 4Coupe with the "Line option" is going to cost more than the actual 5 series.

The new 2Coupe is going to be moved upmarket and priced only some 2.500 $ under the 3 series sedan.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware the E Class Coupe was sharing a platform with the C Class Coupe. I know the CLS is based on the E, so I threw it in there to compare with the 6 series Gran Coupe. I just realized I forgot to include the CL in my comparison.