Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
what else should they call it? Audi calls it their S Line package, even Cadillac is using V-Sport now, AMG has their own packages on non AMG cars, blame the market, not BMW. They tried calling it something else, went with just "sport package" for a long time, then tried the "is" naming, but it didn't work, so they went with the market and just threw the M name on it. But in all fairness, the M Sport package comes with bumpers that look very "M"ish and an M Steering wheel I don't care for the M Emblem door panels (whats the point?) and care even less for the new M Sports that actually have the emblem on the side of the car (Copying what Audi does on their S Line) or the whole new M135i crap, now that is just badge whoring, There is a fine line, but where that line is depends on the person, people who own actual M Cars will say the line is using the M name anywhere, lots of people who can't afford M cars will say there is no line and then you will have some in-between like myself, I have owned Ms and plan to own some in the future, but when I don't buy a full blown M, I like having certain features of those cars in my standard BMW (hence the M Sport package).
Lexus is also coming up with their "F-Package" for lower end ISs who want some IS-F spice. Bottom line is the difference between an M3 and another bmw with m-sport package is more than obvious even if an F30 has an M steering wheel and an M logo on the wheels you could never mistake the two