12-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #40
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
It's to do with the narrower power band of the diesel motor vs petrol motor. Bascially at the higher end of the rev range the petrol motor picks up revs much faster than the diesel motor, as the N20 motor maintains it's max torque for a wider rev range. Also the 20i achieves 270Nm at around 1300rpm, which is more or less the same as the 20d, but don't forget the 20d has longer gearing so the initial step-off will be less responsive than the petrol motor. From idle to abt 1300-1400rpm both motors have similar torque so the 20i will be faster due to shorter gearing.
If u compare 320d w/328i then there's no comparison, the 328i wins hands down in terms of engine performance. There's no way u can compare a car that does 0-100 in less than 6s than one which does it in 7.5s.
Yes you can compare. The d has an iron fist between 1700 and 3200rpm, even more than the 328i has, the 320i is clearly lagging here and even not coming close. Concerning gearing, your reasoning is correct, but... I tend to drive within a low to mid rpm band. When you have a shorter transmission, you just go one gear higher sooner and the effect is neutralised. When I observe other drivers, being a passenger now and then, I notice the same behaviour.

I agree that in the same gear acceleration between two speeds, the i can match the d, but in reality, I would be one gear higher at the same speed with the i seen the short gearing. Therefore, the normal driving experience of the 320d is near to the one of the 328i uptil about 3500rpm. Acceleration from standstill is not a good indication since based on power in the highest part of the rpm band.

Everybody knows that a 328i is faster and of course it will lap the ring faster, but that doesn't represent normal driving conditions.
Appreciate 0