View Single Post
      09-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #42
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmehanna View Post
The hissing in suspension as the absorbers (de)compress is completely normal and not limited to F30s, I've had 2 brand new VWs with the same exact hiss. The clunk however is a different story, I have VSS and the clunk is always there when crossing railroad tracks or similar sharp bumps at low speed, usually with the wheel turned. Not sure if it's coming from the steering column or the front left suspension (LHD car). However, I don't recall hearing the clunk under normal driving conditions and road irregularities, even potholes. I am also not sure if it's characteristic or not, I am more worried about the faint electric buzz sound I hear with the A/T shifting gears at low speeds (only audible with windows down in narrow, quiet roads)
The hiss is not really bothering me.
The reason why I had them look at it was simply to give a visual inspection to make sure there wasn't an actual leak somewhere.
Hissing from shocks can be typical especially over big bumps, like speed bumps. The fluid gets compressed rapidly and it has to pass through the damping circuit which may not be able to control it completely.
But this isn't happening over big bumps like that, it's usually over rougher pavement, more like badly ripped parts. Multiple small bumps, which can pack down on the suspension. But this is an adaptive system, which should be able to control that much better than static systems. Thus, the reason why I brought it up to the tech.
In cars where I have heard distinct hissing, it it's been on older cars with lots of mileage and time for new dampers. :_
My concern on that is minor at this point, but I wanted it noted on the record in case something pops up in the future.

As for the clunk sound, at this point we're reporting a similar sound, but under different circumstances. This clunk may or may not be related, but it's too early to tell.

My original post was about the clunk I get when my engine is OFF and I'm not driving. When my car/engine is off, I move the wheel left to right and there is a distinct clunking as the wheel rocks back an forth.

The clunk you and a couple of others are describing, is happening when your cars are in motion. This may or may not be the same clunk.
I'd have to take an audio recording and you'd have to do the same, if it's possible, and then we can compare the sound.
It may be completely different.
If it's the same, then it could be coming from the same source/area and maybe mine is still within tolerance and that's why I don't have a clunk while running/driving. In you car and the others, maybe this same source has gone beyond tolerance.

I've got a business trip the next few days and won't be back till midweek.
I'll try and get a recording of the clunking I hear and post it.
Appreciate 0