View Single Post
      03-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #70
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I just took my A/S 3+'s off and put my Summer's back on. I grew up in SW Michigan, and drove through gobs of snow every winter until my late 20's. We had more snow in a single hit here in Portland this year than we've had in a very long time so I got to see what the Michellins could do. After a couple of days in serious-for-Portland snow, I would call them "good enough" for UHP All Seasons. I wasn't deeply impressed, but as long as I was careful on the throttle and let my old, rusty instincts take over they were dandy.

That being said, the ancient RWD and FWD cars I had back in the 80's and 90's were not the same beasts as my AWD 340. Light Japanese FWD cars with skinny tires are easy to drive in the snow (unless you are foolish enough to stop on a hill...or forced to) and 70's American RWD boats are utterly evil in the snow (which is what I learned on...nothing else has ever seemed too difficult in the snow).

I never drove a car with this much power on snow in the old days, and that makes a huge difference. The cars I owned back then didn't HAVE enough power to make snow driving worse...and in most circumstances, having a ton of power to put down does not help you in the snow. The only real issues I had were when I wasn't careful enough on the throttle.

The Michellin's were not good enough to cover for mistakes. I don't know if the DWS06's would have been better but the A/S 3+ was only good as long as I was.
Appreciate 0