Thread: Insurance joke
View Single Post
      12-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #51
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Sorry you've had so much trouble, not fun is it!! I've just sorted my insurance out today for renewal early Jan on the 330d (wanted to do it ASAP with the prices going up on 20th Dec).

First wanted to go with Direct Line as they had the cheapest quote (£950), but found out they wouldn't insure my modifications (black grilles etc) with my girlfriend on the policy, as she hasn't been driving for 5+ years.

Then I tried LV, and they wanted £1650 with the modifications!

Did a Compare the Meerkat etc. and Admiral was the best - with the mods - at £1047. Phoned them to go ahead, but they wouldn't let me as I was already with Elephant, but th problem was Elephant just the day before had said they couldn't insure the car at all as it had 'too many modifications' (they were actually optional extras mostly, as they asked for both factory options and any mods, but apparently they don't differentiate between the two). In the end, Elephant agreed to match Admiral's price and insure all the options and minor mods, but not after literally an hour of being on the phone to them for 2 calls (first one cut me off after 35 minutes!) and being on hold 7 times in total! They just don't know what they're doing, or know anything about cars or the difference between an option and a modification. I ended up reeling off the list of options 3 times to them today, and for each option they have no clue what it is (what's a Xenon headlight?) and it just doesn't go in.

They were the cheapest so had to go with them, but doesn't give you much confidence! It should teach me to not do these little mods on the car, but that's all part of the fun...