12-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #92
EnerJi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 BMW 335i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Here's the thing to remember in all of this. The losing party was the insurance company. They had to pay the claim to make their insured whole. Both THEY and BMW did their own separate investigations. Both were inconclusive. If even a hint of blame could be definitively placed on BMW following either investigation they would have denied the claim.

What BMW offered as goodwill was very generous. They had no obligation to do so. Attempting to push for compensation sufficient to bridge the gap with a brand new car was ridiculous.
What if he hadn't had comprehensive insurance? It would be a bit silly to be driving a recent-model BMW without it, but let's assume that was the case.

No comprehensive coverage means no insurance payout. The car was under warranty, maintained by BMW service technicians to manufacturer recommendations, and it catches fire during normal operations and is a total loss. BMW investigates, and their investigation is inconclusive. If that were to happen, BMW either makes it right, or the driver sues BMW to try and force them to make it right. My guess is BMW makes it right to avoid the lawsuit.

In this situation, despite the insurance payout, my bet is BMW would have been willing to go further to make it right if the OP had hadn't lost his patience.
Appreciate 0