01-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus2003 View Post
Hi everyone!

I thought I'd just start a discussion about BMW quality over the last decade.

My first BMW was an e46 330ci. That car was a tank, drove the hell out of it for close to 6 years without one single issue. The build quality was solid, and driving it through 5 tough Canadian winters was a true testament to its solidity.

My current 335i xdrive is 2 years old, with less than 18000 km on it and I feel that the quality is not the same. The door is lighter, there are more rattling noises and the car has had minor problems with less mileage than my e46.

In between the two cars, I've owned a 996 C4S and C63 AMG and both cars were well built without any issues.

Is it me or has BMW taken a different strategy/direction with their cars?

My 2014 328i is my fourth and most trouble-free BMW. I have 18,000 miles and not a single issue of any kind. While I loved the two E39's I had, they both had the same recurring problems that are well documented on the E39 forums, such as radiator fails, expansion tank fails, broken cup holders, valley pan leaks, window switches, pixels failing on the dash, pixels failing on the center display.

I think we all remember our past cars fondly if we liked the car as a whole. But looking back, these were nagging issues. I had a 97 540 and a 03 540. Both cars had the same issues! BMW had 6 years to get it right and they choose not to. Pixels and cup holders are one thing. For BMW to continue to spec a radiator that had the same weak point for 6 years and not do anything about it was horrible. Few things will stop your car and the radiator is one of them.

So, to answer your question, I don't think build quality has gone downhill on the cars I have owned. Others may have a different experience.
Appreciate 0