View Single Post
      02-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

BMW interior quality vs the competition

Took a stroll through the auto show yesterday and by the end of it couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed with the F30 interior. The quality of the finishes leaves you wanting more.

It's something I've noticed being mentioned more frequently on the forum. For the most part I brushed it off as BMW owners being stereotypically anal. But as I walked the show floor it was one of the major aesthetic things that stood out for me. A lot of the competitors (Jag, Audi, and Merc) have simply done a better job of having that luxury feel. Maybe it's the fact that most of the competitors have recently released new generations or BMW has put their value into other aspects (driving dynamics ). Hopefully BMW will step up their game on the next gen. After today I feel you almost have to go with extended leather to get close to the competition, not even on par...and that costs a lot. The LCI would have been a great time to bridge that gap to the competition but that never happened. The LCI is almost identical to MY14 335.

Now I know the interior is only one aspect of a car. As I got into my f30 to drive home I felt some solace in the design/arrangement of the interior. I think BMW has it right and it's better than the competition. But with my lease up soon I can't help but wonder if I've just grown accustomed to the design and maybe the others have more to offer than a nice interior. Maybe their engines are comparable or even better. After all this is the LUXURY sedan market. Maybe the grass is greener on the other side.

Interested to see what the rest of the community thinks...
Appreciate 1