View Single Post
      03-31-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Hi. I was duty stationed in the UK for three years from '99-'01. I brought a left hand drive US spec car with me and could have easily sold it for a profit. As a matter of fact, go buy a Harley Davidson before you leave as motorcycles unlike cars are shipped under your personal effects allowance. You'll make a killing.

But to your question, is it worth doing for your car? Yes, because you could drive it there vice buying a local car, and then sell before you leave. Certain US cars, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. sell much better than your ride, but eh, who cares. There is absolutely a market for ALL US muscle cars in Europe.

Only caution is the process to get a proper German MOT (or whatever they call it) which will be necessary for you to sell it to a local. The car will require a single rear fog light and euro spec headlights even for you to be able to drive it. However, there are additional tests that will be required before you'll be able to sell it. My advice is to prep the car and conduct the process to sell. And if the price isn't great, just keep it and bring it home.

PS - I've purchased three cars under the diplomatic and military sales program. It's awesome.

Good luck.

David
Appreciate 0