12-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #45
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
The best automatic gearbox on the planet, yes. It is a fantastic auto without a doubt but if you spent time with a DCT, I think you would agree it is better for sports driving. The DCT can effectively skip multiple gears with the shifter/paddles... if you are in 6th and click 3 times quickly, it immediately goes to 3rd. You don't have to actually wait for it to engage each gear (unlike my C63 where you have to let it go into each lower gear). The DCT also has the kick down feature.

It also shifts instantly up/down. I mean INSTANTLY. Click the shift paddle and the car is instantly in the next gear... aggressive shifting can actually be fairly violent as the tranny rams the next gear. It is actually what converted me (previously a 6MT only guy) into a true DCT nut. In full auto mode, I suspect the 8AT is better (as it wouldn't have some of the compromises of the DCT and would be smoother, etc) but in manual mode during aggressive driving, the DCT is simply amazing and cannot be beat. There is a reason BMW puts the DCT in the M3
Agreed.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0