03-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
I can see an argument for BMW to allow messages to be displayed, but I think allowing replies to be sent from the iDrive is going to just end up with people killing themselves and people around them.
People are killing themselves and others around them today. I do agree that if you at least display the message, that would allow the user to phone back if necessary. Of course, until the iPhone doesn't allow the user to respond if they're driving...the temptation on the part of our fellow drivers will always be there to respond on the iPhone. I'm just trying to think of a way to allow them to respond with *something* -- preferably something canned -- in a safer manner. There is, of course, the BMW liability situation, which will probably factor into what they're willing to enable on this type of app.

Quote:
I think it's also unecessary - if BMW allow for Siri support through BMW Apps then it could work reasonably well. It might be hard to correct Siri's inevitable misunderstandings though.
I totally support this statement. More Siri integration could lead to a complete hands-free approach, which is preferable of course. Misunderstandings happen, unfortunately, not only with Siri, but also with BMW Voice Recognition.

Quote:
Or, shock horror, you could just phone people instead of texting them!
What?? An iPhone allows VOICE calls? The younger generation might be shocked by this revelation.