krith
Old Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i F36, M-Sport 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
Great job on tackling this yourself.

Out of curiosity what was the quoted costs? I'm quite lucky that my local shop I use and very much trust are quoting roughly 9-10 hours at £65 an hour.

I had a moment last weekend when I did my oil change, I cut the filter open and found two pin prick dots of silver. Nothing you could really feel but it was there under light, I know filters are there to catch any debris but this had me factoring in bearings too.

Out of curiosity do you ever cut your used oil filters open for inspection and if so ever find much?

From the only BMW performance shop I have or would take my car to here in Raleigh, NC, USA.
I was quoted after taxes (out the door) $2,800 USD (2,200 Pounds). I don't have a breakdown of the hours over parts, as I opted out of the service. However, I would judge half that to be labor based on what I purchased the parts for and knowing their shop rate is $110 - $120 USD an hour. They have a high shop rate because they can.

Because I did the job myself, I went above and beyond. Such as replacing the windage tray, water pump & thermostat, upgrading the hot side charge pipe as it was right there and the sway bar, degreasing the entire chassis, painting the rusted spots on the subframe, using all new hardware when remounting the subframe, cleaned all the electrical connectors; the list goes on you get the idea.

I have not bothered cutting one open before when inspecting the filters. I jump back and forth between the MANN and the WIX filters. I like the WIX because of its wire mesh cage support. It's very sturdy with good flow. Due to this wire mesh, I have not been in the habit of opening them up. I only spread apart the fins and inspect for glitter with a light.

I've never really seen anything that would cause me concern. Some minor microscopic
slivery/aluminum (or aluminium if you prefer) deposits but never a mix of colors that would indicate copper. Copper would be your most significant bearing wear indicator, from my understanding.