2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBrova View Post
I have also experienced this issue similarly. I have an August 2012 build 335 m Sport.

The first appearance was a little over a month and a half ago with the loss of power issue. Was on a highway on ramp when it happened, so it kind of put me in danger since i could barely get it up to highway speed. I pulled off at the next exit, checked the vehicle status in the iDrive menu, and noticed how high the fan in the engine area seemed to be running so shut the car off. After a minute it calmed down, so i tried to turn it back on, and it acted like nothing ever happened. There was no check control shown during or after this happened, but it hasnt felt the same since. Pretty much exactly how Cfichman's video depicts:
. I didnt feel any steering wheel vibration as ybbiz34 pointed out though. I did let my SA know about this, but I didnt make much effort to bring it in because as justinnum1 said, i have also found that unless you can bring it in with the problem, its likely a waste of time.

The loss of power happened to me again about 2 weeks ago in a different way, still going on an onramp again though, except this time it didnt really go into "limp mode", it just felt like it had less HP available or something. I didnt hear the loud fan or anything like before, but it was like this little Mazda 3 just zipped around me like my acceleration was weak (not cool). I brought in after that, additionally because I have also been noticing that she just seems to pegging 160 line for the oil temp, even after 15 to 20 miles on the highway. Heat doesnt really blow out the whole time either, even though its on max 84. Sometimes it does get to a little over 200, but that will be after alot of stop and go at traffic lights. I was hoping there would be some codes stored somewhere outside of the vehicle status view we have access to, but unfortunately they couldnt find anything wrong.

Now yesterday while driving home i noticed the Check Engine Light come on. Im like WTF, already?? No power loss or anything like that, just cruising, temp pegged at 160, kind of freezing my behind off on the way home, and this happens. But this could be a good thing because I pulled off and took it to autozone and had it scanned. They found a P0128 code, which apparently points to cooling/thermostat/fan/temperature sensor issues, so same suspected areas everyone has been pointing to. I havent driven it since it happened, but the light is staying on when turning the car on and off, so im going to bring it in again with this proof, and hope to start getting some traction on solving this problem.
Just as I suspected. Oil temp pegged to 160 after driving for a long while. Thermostat and or fan issue
Appreciate 0