View Single Post
      12-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #102
Markus2003
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
Pretty sure if BMW launches an investigation they'd have to hire a third party independent investigator who has to publicize any results. That's how most of these liability investigations work....

Also doctor analogy is flawed. In the case of the doctor, they are absolving any responsibility for a surgery PERFORMED AT THAT MOMENT OR LATER, WHERE THE RESULTS ARE UNKOWN.

BMW is offering a NEW CAR WITH WARRANTY, in return for NO FURTHER PRESS ABOUT A PREVIOUS RESOLVED ISSUE WITH KNOWN CONSEQUENCES. They are NOT ABSOLVING LIABILITY (two separate investigations already did that), but rather limiting option of going to the press/public. It's non-disclosure, not release of liability.

It's like a doctor saying "hey so apparently after your last tooth cleaning, you randomly developed a rash on your arm. Now I have no idea whether this rash is due to sth during the cleaning, or cause you ate something you're allergic to or got stun by some bug. But here, I'll give you $7,500 in freebies plus WARRANTY on said freebies so you don't go around blaming me for it."
Your argument about a third party investigation is noted, but please spare me the uppercase letters....you clearly don't know the responsibilities of an MD or a dentist (FYI both consent patients prior to any procedure for most known complications/side effects based on experience/expertise as well as what is published in the literature before anything is done).

So is it still acceptable that BMW asked to not disclose the incident (especially with inconclusive findings) in exchange for a large discount?
Appreciate 0